Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Heck, Even You Could Do IT!!!!

Just finished a great book today. Radically Unchurched by Alvin Reid is a great read for anyone who wants to learn more about reaching the lost around them, especially a good read for pastors or people training to be in the ministry.
One of the many practical ideas found in this book seemed so simple that I nearly didn't even try it. The idea is this: whenever you go to a restaurant ask your waiter or waitress if they have any prayer requests for you to pray for when you pray over your meal. The idea is that this will begin good conversations with people about the Lord. Well today I went out to eat for lunch with two of the members of the church. I did not have this in mind when I showed up, but when I sat down I realized that I had to ask. Just like any wimpy Christian, I tried to make excuses to get out of it, but I knew that I had to do it. When our waitress served us our food I called her by name and said "We are about to pray for our food, do you have anything that we could pray about?" She was shocked at first but asked us to pray for her as she makes a decision about having sugery or not. We prayed for her, but the amazing thing was that when she came back to our table she had a huge smile on her face and thanked me for praying for her. She thanked me at least one other time before I left. I didn't know that it would be anything like this, but now I see. People need to hear about hope, when Christians talk about prayer, they hear hope. I am planning on doing this every time I go out to eat from now on. Will you join me? Will you take the challenge, will you be a conduit for God to show hope and love to be the post-modern people around you? Hey, just try it, I think you will be hooked after one time.



No comments: